Our mission is to promote and support responsible beekeeping practices; that benefit honeybees, beekeepers, our citizens and our environment throughout the Coastal Empire Low Country; where we live and call home.
Meetings: 2016 UPDATE
CEBA holds their regular bimonthly meetings at the Oatland Island Wildlife Center (Jan/Mar/May/July/Sept/Nov). Members enjoy guest speakers as they attend the club meetings. We will be meeting on the following Monday nights, 6:30 – 8:00 PM. We have also inserted some special dates:
January 11th – Annual Business Meeting
February 13th (Saturday) Special Guest – Dr. Keith Delaplane
Lecture title: “The Superorganism for Beekeepers and Beyond”
February 27th – FUNdamentals of Beekeeping (Beginner & Advanced Classes)
March 14th – Guest Speaker: David Arnal
Lecture title: “Swarm Prevention”
May 9th – Guest Speaker: Steve Nofs
Lecture title: “Pollen, Harvesting, & Benefits”
July 11th – Guest Speaker: Steve Page
August – Honey Contest: Date Pending
Sept 12th – Guest Speaker: Bear Kelly
Nov 14th – Guest Speaker: Pending
CEBA provides a social time from 6:00 – 6:30 PM for members and visitors to gather information and to talk about beekeeping amongst themselves. We also serve a light food trays and coffee during this time. We will continue with our educational speakers in 2016 from 06:45 to 08:00 PM. Our focus in 2016 will be to grow our apiary & public programs, along with watching our Pollination Garden evolve as Master Gardeners help design our apiary’s new look for 2016. We do start the meetings promptly at 06:30 for any announcments and then turn it over to the speaker for the evening. Please come join us!
URBAN BEEKEEPING IS NOW LEGAL inside the city limits of Savannah! In October of 2015, the City Counsel voted to adopt the same ordinance used by the Chatham County Animal Control. The interest in beekeeping is spiking again for CEBA, especially with our programs growing at Oatland Island. We invite guest to come and check us out, as we would love to share our experiences in beekeeping with you.
Saturday Events on Oatland Island:
CEBA members also take turns on the second Saturdays of each month to maintain our clubs apiary. We will holding short workshops also on these Saturday’s. Please check our calendar page for the schedule.
Oatland Island Wildlife Center
711 Sandtown Rd. Savannah, Ga. 31410
Membership is open to the public, anyone may join our organization.JOIN read more
If you have general questions or would like to know more about the Coastal Empire Beekeeping Association, please contact us using one of the following methods:
Coastal Empire Beekeepers
502 US Highway 80 W
PO BOX 241
Pooler, GA 31322
Or utilize this form to send a quick message:
The 2016 CEBA Membership Benefits continue to grow and we hope you will take advantage of this opportunity.
Below are our educational opportunities for members:
- Speakers are funded for each of the regular 06:30 PM club meetings (March, May, July, September, November).
- Apiary inspections will take place on the 2nd Saturday for educational and practical experience learning.
- Apiary Workshops will be taught by CEBA during the warm months at the CEBA Shack (Dates & times to be posted)
- CEBA Honey Contest in 2015 included a Welch Honey Judge. We are moving this to the end of the summer and inviting members from across Georgia to participate. This will include educational training.
- Our sugar program will continue in 2016 and our stock is pending the next delivery to Oatland. Sugar should be available starting in February. (Currently on HOLD pending supply source)
- 100 Wilbanks Bee Packages for early April delivery have already been placed for our club. Members may start their deposits at the January 11th Business Meeting.
- We added a 3rd Honey Extractor that will allow more members to be extracting on the same weekends.
- We brought back our CEBA Club Low Country Boil for the members that will be held between Summer/Fall seasons. JM Sikes will continue to provide his expertise in this style of cooking.
- Membership into the Georgia Beekeepers Association in 2016 is active, which in turn will provide more opportunities for our club.
- The CEBA Shack is nearly finished and will be fully operational for our February events. The shed will have electrical power, large stainless sink, and HOT water for cleaning and/or mixing sugar syrup.
Please continue to check our website activities for more benefits coming your way!
Art Work Design
Honey Extracting Education
Learning from Others
Just having fun!